PHOTOS: SHINTA ROSVITA
PHOTOS: SHINTA ROSVITA
On this April Fools’ Day, I’m going to share my Holy Grail when it comes to fool-proof makeup.
In my own term, fool-proof means practical yet it stands against Jakarta’s weather (which become more hot and humid these days).
In alphabetical order:
– Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder Duo : as natural as real brows, I hate fake looking brows which created by some pencil.
– Bobbi Brown Concealer : it concealed well without cracking and works magically for that zit coverage.
– Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eyeshadow : palette of fun, just mix and blend to create any looks I desired.
– Guerlain Meteorites Pearls : for that radiant finish which somehow made my makeup seem more natural.
– MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation : let me tell you a little secret: once a beauty brand PR from other brand which also carried cosmetics line, bought this without hesitation. Need I say more?
– Maybelline New York Volum’ Express One by One Mascara : the chubby tube and brush at it’s best. No clumps when applied, no smudges while sweating.
– NARS Satin Lip Pencil : it lines, it fills, it doesn’t crack, it stays on.
– The Body Shop All In One Blusher : no need to touch up during day time, as its’ extra fine powder blended well and stay there until you wipe it off.
YES, A WOMAN CAN HAVE IT ALL …
Head to toe Chanel, a gorgeous husband and a cute kid.
At least, according to Karl Lagerfeld. Chanel’s Spring 2013 campaign video (directed by Karl himself), entitled “Public Garden” was shot in black and white a la silent movie. Set in Musée Rodin in Paris, France, Lindsey Wixson starred with the ever handsome Brad Kroening as someone else’s husband. The cute kid, is Karl’s godson, Hudson Kroening, wearing a matching Choupette sweatshirt and tee. Oooohhhh…..
Kicked off 2013 with family holiday. Fun in the sun, drugstores and beauty isles. Total bliss!
Went to Legoland Malaysia and short visit to Singapore with my boys. They came back with tans on their skin, and me? Still pale but happy with all the beauty products that I managed to get on such short trip.
Here they are:
– Maybelline New York Lashionista Mascara
– Bioderma Sensibio H2O
– Essence Lash & Brow Gel
– L’Oreal Color Riche Le Nail Art
– Skinfood Salmon Dark Circle Concealer Cream
– Skinfood Salmon Dark Circle Powder
– Essence Nail Art Express Dry Drops
– Rachel K CC Cream
– Chanel CC Cream
– Majolica Majorca Lash King Mascara
– Guerlain Meteorites Perles
– Shu Uemura Karl Lagerfeld Eyelash Curler
– Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
– Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner
– Essence Quatro Eyeshadow
– Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
– Essence Fix & Matte Translucent Loose Powder
– Essence Gel Eyeliner
Can’t wait to review them one by one. Stay tune.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
2 PRINT DRESSES FOR 2 NYE’S PARTY
We’re counting down to 2013 as I blog, have you decided what to wear?
It’s important to decide what you’ll be wearing, literally from head to toe for the New Year Eve’s Party. Here, I recommend a few styling tips to pick the right print dress & accessories for two NYE’s occasions. Either you’re hanging out with friends or spending it with your big family, you’ll look stylish and most importantly, comfortable.
PARTY WITH FRIENDS?
– Free your mind and pick a much more fun print dress for partying with your pals. Go shorter in sleeves or hem. It’s all about having fun.
– Same trick goes to accessories. Pick a long dangling gold earrings if you must, and get ready to shine. Stay away from bracelets, because they’ll get in a way while you’re partying. Trust me.
– Choose a smaller sling bag that will fit any important thing you need for the night, because you don’t want to party and clutching your bag all night.
– Ankle booties are the right walking companion for this occasion. They just look more hip and fun.
PARTY WITH BIG FAMILY?
– Stay classic. Choose smaller print for the dress and don’t go too mini. You don’t want your brother in-laws to stare, right?
– Stick to simple accessories with a ‘wow’ factor. A Chanel earrings will do that.
– Bring your simple clutch as well. You need something to hold on to when you’re in awkward family situation. LOL.
– Why bother using stilettos? But don’t just use any flats. Opt for leather instead of canvas with an extra style which will give you that stylish boost.
Chanel just named its top five polishes of all time.
1. Chanel Vamp : Straight off a 1994 runway, worn by Uma Thurman in the movie Pulp Fiction and scored $1 million dollar sales in the first year alone. Need I say more?
2. Chanel Khaki Vert : Released in fall 2010, just in time for Fashion’s Night Out.
3. Chanel Riva : Debuted on the Chanel Cruise 2010-2011 runway.
4. Chanel Black Pearl : Launched last year.
5. Chanel Particuliere : Very popular since it was launched in the winter of 2009.
As a nail polish addict, which one do you have? (I’m a proud owner of Black Pearl, btw)
COULD THIS BE THE END OF BEAUTIFUL PERFUMES?
Bad news for those who have allergies or not.
A team of EU scientists are testing whether a key ingredient from a fragrance, a naturally occurring type of tree moss causes allergies. Tree Moss has always been an important ingredient in high end fragrances of its’ specific earthy and woody scent. FYI, under rules implemented by the European Commission in 2006, 26 common ingredients including the tree moss and eugenol (found in rose oil), must be declared on the packaging of perfume because they are potentially allergenic.
And now the Commission’s Scientific Committee of Consumer Safety, whose in charge to protect citizens from harmful substances, want the tree moss (reportedly used in Chanel No 5) to be banned. Meanwhile, it’s still a guideline and not law, so The International Fragrance Association will conduct further research of this serious matter, I’ll keep you posted.
Personally, I believe that it’s impossible to change ingredient(s) in a classic and probably the most loved fragrance that has been around since 1921 and sold every 30 seconds in the world. Don’t you think so too?
MORE THAN JUST ECO FRIENDLY
Most of the nail polish brands has get rid of the three ingredients which reportedly linked to toxicity. Now, the three big bad chemicals have two more company.
If you ever noticed the three ingredients, they are formaldehyde, dibutylphthalate (DBP) and toluene. Recently, there are two more toxic ingredients to avoid painting onto your nails, formaldehyde resin and camphor. According to the FDA, formaldehyde resin (strengthener used in nail polish), is truly toxic if you bite your nails. As for camphor, it can be toxic if ingested or inhaled in large amounts.
Don’t freak out just yet, after all many mainstream brands are already three free. But wouldn’t it be good to be five free? From the fashion week favorite, Priti NYC to a prestige brand, Chanel (surprise surprise), here are the 10 nail polishes brands without those 5 toxic ingredients.
A MAN TO BECOME THE FACE OF LADIES FRAGRANCE
And reportedly that very man, paid US$7 million to become the first male ever to sell a woman’s fragrance for this ultra famous fashion house. Correction: it’s not just a fragrance, it’s Chanel No 5.
First introduced in 1921, Coco Chanel herself pronounced Chanel No 5 as “a woman’s perfume, with the scent of a woman”. Thanks to Marilyn Monroe who admitted to only wore a few drops of Chanel No 5 to bed, it became an iconic fragrance of glamour Hollywood superstars. Nevertheless, Marilyn was never become an official representative for the brand back in 1960’s.
Looking back at the Chanel No 5 advertisements, the glamorous women had graced the ads. From Coco Chanel herself in 1930’s , Catherine Deneuve in 1975, to Nicole Kidman in 2004 and Audrey Tautou in 2009. In 2012, for the first time in history of this iconic perfume, a man has been named to represent the scent in their ad campaign. Brad Pitt.
Until now, I’m still asking myself why. My lucky guess, looking back to the 1960’s ad which said “Every woman alive loves Chanel No 5”, maybe because every woman alive loves Brad Pitt? President of Chanel Fragrance & Beauty, Andrea d’Avack said, “We believe this dynamic, modern campaign will make people think in a completely different way about No 5.” Well, we’ll see. The commercial is reported to make its debut on October 15th.